JULY 4th - YANKEE CAPTAINS KIDS & PARENTS TRIP STORY & PICTURES

Join the Fishing United Community!! This is the board for groups to arrange charters onboard your favorite Party or Charter Boat! Open to ALL members to use.

JULY 4th - YANKEE CAPTAINS KIDS & PARENTS TRIP STORY & PICTURES

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:09 am

PICTURES AND STORY IS POSTED BELOW....FINALLY!
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 4th - YANKEE CAPTAINS KIDS & PARENTS TRIP PICTURES GOING UP WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR-

Postby elnath » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Here is a few to start things off....
elnath

Re: JULY 4th - YANKEE CAPTAINS KIDS & PARENTS TRIP PICTURES GOING UP WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR-

Postby NMSBob » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Great looking crew :)

Bob
NMSBob

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Who would of ever thought that it would take 7 hours driving up from New York to Gloucester....but it did.....and I will say it was well worth it getting to the YANKEE CAPTS even though I was dealing with some of the worst traffic the BQE, 95 in the Bronx, 95 between exits 4- 48 in Conn., 91 before Hartford, the Mass. Pike near Boston, and 95 around Boston on till the time it breaks off to 128 had to offer! Did I say that traffic on 95 was just horrendous!

First before I go any further, I would like to thank Captain Greg for being the most gracious host, who tried everything to make this a first class trip for the kids and their families. Captain Greg along with Captain Nicole, Renata and the crew were first class....I cannot say enough great things about them here for the caring and effort they put in to make this trip as enjoyable as possible.

Well here is a little 'pictography' from the 3 days I was up at Gloucester with my son, and the FISHING UNITED family members who joined us on this trip.

====================================================================================
====================================================================================

Was this a harbinger of things to come? I pulled into the Rose Marina lot around 8 o'clock at night. Definitely looks more early April or late October, then being the start of July!

The big YANKEE CAPTS sitting and ready to go...Captain Greg was already on the boat getting it ready, preparing for 2 back to back over night trips during this week. Greg spent all day working on the boat, and then loading it up for the trips. You have to see what goes on before the boat ever leaves the dock, and Greg never stopped onto almost ten at night when everybody came on board.

Interestingly, sitting right across from the YANKEE CAPTS, was this big boat, and anyone from Sheepshead Bay would recognize it as the last Super Ranger boat Michael Scarpatti owned. It is now run as a whale watching boat, but while it was in Sheepshead Bay for that one season, it was amazing to watch this boat move along, cruising at over 30 knots.

Captain Greg taking a few minutes to relax after getting the boat ready for the trip.

Bill Elanth and his daughter Rebekah were here early talking with Captain Greg.

Of course daddy was tired after driving 7 hours, and my son wanted to catch a few fish at the dock, after hearing about a few small tinker macks scrambling around the boats light, so I put on a Sabiki rig on a light rod for him to catch something. Funny thing was a little while later, that the line got between the reels spool, so I took apart the Abu reel right there, dropping the rig to the bottom. Would you believe 2 bergalls jumped on the rig! EC definitely knows where to find the 'money fish' even at the dock!

By about 10 everyone had arrived, and the cabin was filling up. I know the adults were pretty tired, but the kids were rearing to go!

Captain Greg and Renata are up early in the morning and rearing to get off the dock and out to the fishing grounds. Anyone who has the pleasure to experience the home cooking that Renata does in the galley, would be up early too....hint, her pancakes are to die for!

Gloucester has one of the biggest commercial fleets gathered in one Harbor in the United States, and as you make your way out, their are numerous different types of commercial boats seen along the way. Interestingly, the Herring reduction boats, Endeavor, Challenger, and I believe Western Sea, were sitting right across from where the YC ties up. So far the weather did not look to bad as we were going out..........should of kept my mouth closed!

Here we are clearing around the Harbor and looking at the lighthouse. It is 8 o'clock in the morning (yes this does not look good). and my son is now experiencing first hand what mariners for thousands of years call 'sea sickness', due to sea conditions like this. Some of the other kids are also finding out how it feels too. Yes it is July 2nd...hard to believe. If this looks tame to you, wait till we break around the corner of Cape Ann and Halibut Point.

While my son was doing this......

I had a chance to walk around the boat and look at the tackle all the fishermen have brought on board. Carl Newell would be smiling if he saw this!

Finally just south of the Isle of Shoals which we were making our way to, Captain Greg makes a stop for some mackerel fishing along the way and drops the hook. I know for many New England fishermen, mackerel are no big deal, but for us New York and New Jersey fishermen who grew up mackerel fishing, I could not wait to get into a big 'mack attack'!

One of the New Hampshire day boats we were fishing right next to....they had a very light crowd on board from what we saw from this distance.

Here are MIkes children fishing in the stern, in what can be described as 'heavy showers'. They caught fish though!

Captain Greg holding up a red 'scrat' sized kelp cod that were sitting under the mackerel schools if you dropped your jig down to the bottom.

Before we got to the Isle of Shoals, Mike PhysEd, showed me his custom jig bucket. I had to take a picture of this since it definitely is something I would like to pick up to carry my jigs and tubes. Great work here to say the least. Mike said the two tricks in making a cod jig bucket was in finding one that is long like this one is, and then putting in the tubes for holding the jigs. Needless to say, I doubt you can find a better bucket for carrying your cod jigs in.

Finally off the Isle of Shoals, New Hampshire. Incredible site to say the least when you get up close. Would you believe there is a hotel on this group of small rocky islands? There is also a nice protected cove which Captain Greg showed us. Some site to see if you ever get a chance.

After making a drop around the Islands, Captain Greg tried out a drop just south of the Isle of Shoals. Here are two pics of Amanda bracing herself against the rail right next to Glenn, and fighting something pretty large which she hooked.

Guess what she has on the end of her line?

Well after the 'bouncy' trip down the NH and northern Mass. shoreline, Captain Greg tucked into one of the Harbors so that everyone could enjoy the night and eat dinner in peace without the Deadliest Catch conditions we saw a few hours before. Here is my son next to a sand dab, aka sundial, and a blackback flounder that was caught. I stayed at the rail in the early evening and tried for two hours to catch a striper, and had one run off to show for my trouble. Definitely losing my touch!

Mikes children and Captain Nicole at the fishing rail during the early evening. Almost everyone had a smile at this time in the Harbor.

Dinner time, and Renata did not disappoint with pasta, meat balls and garlic bread along with a home made red sauce....boy was it good!@ Everyone enjoyed dinner along with the desert.

Captain Nicole helping out Rebekah during the night bass fishing.

Everyone wanted to catch a striped bass, and many of the children on board gathered at the stern of the boat.

Captain Nicole giving out pointers as she worked the back deck. Even my son was smiling trying to lock into one striped bass. Notice the cap....it was a little chilly to say the least for early July!

We did catch something that we did have planned for the trip....yes a lobster, that had one missing claw, and one claw missing its closing pointy hinge! It was tossed back after we took this picture.

After everyone wrapped up fishing for the night, Captain Nicole and a few of the children had a blast playing cards during the night. This was a shot I took before I tucked in for bed.

The next day, Captain Greg ran the boat eastward out to a new fishing area, and got into some schools of large striped bass dinning on those large sand eels we used to see here in the NY Bight. Here is a shot that does not do justice to the amount of big bass that were fining on top of the water that were eager to take our jigs thrown at them,

Here is Captain Greg helping my son hold his first large striped bass caught on a gold 4.5 oz jig and a dark sand eel tube. All fish were returned back to the water after the jigs were removed. For a few hours everyone had a blast catching a few large striped bass.

Here is my son holding up 'natures twinke', impaled on our dark sand eel jig. Now that is a sand eel!

After the striped bass bite slowed down, Captain Greg made another move to try and target a few bottom fish. Needless to say, most of the kids were thrilled loading up on the fish of the future, sometimes 2 at a time. Here my son is shocked holding a shark with his bare hands....he should only know.....

Here Johnny the mate was having a little fun with my son, making him crank two 'green eyed spiny haddock' off the bottom. This was work for all of us as we literally held the rods and he cranked with his left hand, then right hand...this must of took 5 minutes....this is how you develop those fishing muscles!

Well what is more fun then catching dogfish? Sitting down with your buddies and playing cards on a party boat....Here is a shot of the kids back in the galley enjoying themselves for a few moments as the YANKEE CAPTS moves to the next spot.

Finally everyone is up in the cabin enjoying the ride.....Here is Rich D and his family.

Mike and his family....

The incredible YANKEE CAPTS crew, Matt, Captain Nicole and Johnny who helped make it a enjoyable trip....

Captain Greg enjoying fishing with one of my Newell reels at the end of the day. Too bad he hooked a dogfish within 20 seconds of hitting the bottom!

Here I am at the end of the day with Renata who cooked day and night anything that was asked for, while also giving us a surprise with some home backed buttery peanut butter cookies.....oh they were good. I know I packed on 5 lbs on this trip eating her cooking....it is that good!

Captain Greg surveying the back deck and telling everyone it is time to go home....finally the sun has broken out of the sky and the seas laid down. Captain Greg then handed out official YANKEE CAPTS shirts to all the adults and took the names of all the children on board to make them embroidered shirts. How could you beat that!

All the kids were given a nice YANKEE CAPTS diploma for surviving their first over night fishing trip designed and made by Captain Greg and Alana in the office and signed by Captain Nicole...

Finally the recap.....

Even though my son experienced first hand how it feels to be under the weather, he did enjoy the trip and is not discouraged to go on board fishing boats in the future. Both Captain Nicole, Renata, and Captain Greg along with the mates were his biggest cheer leaders, making sure he was comfortable as best during the trip, as well as with everyone on board the YANKEE CAPTS.

Personally I cannot say enough 'thank yous' to Greg who has been a friend for years, who made sure to do the little things like the shirts, and the diplomas, as well as running the boat around as best he could due to the conditions for this trip. He even comped everyone on board to another over night trip, which was an added nice gift to all of us at the end of the trip.

I do hope all the families on board enjoyed the YANKEE CAPTS Kids & Parents fishing trip, and I really do hope in the future there is a bigger demand for these special trips for the family to hop on board a vessel for a over night trip with Captain Greg and the YANKEE CAPTS crew.

By the way, it took me 4 hours and 15 minutes to get home, stopping off for the rest rooms and fuel and while driving through 3 rain storms in which two of them could be described as having the 'hammers of hell' like conditions, were the temperature dropped from 77 to 62 in Conn. and some hail came down.

Looking back now, I cannot believe it is all over....it definitely stoked my fishing juices again to get out there fishing with my son.

Again thanks to all the families which came on this trip and Captains Greg & Nicole, Renata and mates Matt and John!
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 4th - YANKEE CAPTAINS KIDS & PARENTS TRIP STORY & PICTURES

Postby Bob K » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Great Post EC! The Capts Crew makes every trip something special.
Bob K

Postby elnath » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 pm

I'd like to add my thanks to Greg and the crew for a great trip (despite the "less than ideal" weather conditions).

Everybody was helpful and pleasant to the max throughout the entire trip. Rebekah was thrilled to experience her first overnight fishing trip as well as her first Striper!

Also I'd like to thank Steve for setting up and coordinating the trip and being an excellent Chartermaster!!
elnath

Postby Physedfisher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 am

I would also like to thank Capt Greg, Capt Nicole, Renata (it is true those pancakes are awesome), Matt and John (even if kristyn was scared of him......and then it became a game). All of you are very good with kids!!!! Nicole especially!!!!! Helping sick kids without even thinking about it..... Many things were priceless throughout the trip but I'll name a few.... 1. the children getting along so well (age range 8-25).....2.THE KIDS STILL WANTING TO FISH IN THE DARK IN THE HARBOR AFTER BEING SICK ALL DAY. 3. My wife Lauren sleeping for 2 days (with 4 kids she sure needed it even if it was dramimine induced (she got to see the great stuff) 4. Kristyn catching a lobster and a bunch of macs. 5. Seeing all of the magnificent landscape and a bunch of whales. 6. Seeing 20-30 lb class bass busting on the largest sand eels I've ever seen. 7 Catching a nice big bass myself and then running down stairs to tell my family about the bass blitz and having my son emerge from a dead sleep in 2 minutes cast out himself and hook up on a 20 then a 22 then at the end of the blitz, a bass that was a few ounces shy of 30 and then him ragging on me the whole way home as his big bass is bigger then mine (he's 8). Olivia enjoying the trip as she was the most sceptical and the one who gets motion sickness easiest! (she got in on the shark fest .......did anyone mention that we caught a few (understatement) doggies they provided the action after the bass? My kids were competing to see who could catch the most , 2 at a time many times (thanks Bill "elnath" for helping Kristyn as Rebeccea had already caught her big bass as decided sleep was better then dogggies ......I agree). The ride up was 7 hours and we hit traffic on the merrit (conn 5/15) and the ride home was also 7 hours but we sat down to dinner for an hour.....we zoomed through NYC at breakneck speed now how often does that happen??? Thanks again for a great trip and the priceless memories! Mike (Physedfisher) and Family
Physedfisher

Postby Hawkboat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:58 am

Looks like it was a good time. Nothing like a kid catching his/her first bass. I still remember my son's first.

I love the look on the little girls face when EC's son is holding the shark,, :lol: now that's priceless :!:

Sounds like kids turned out to be real troopers and they look like they had a blast.

Hey Steve, the little guy out fished you...good for him. ;)
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby Physedfisher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:32 am

OOPS! Forgot one person....... a big Thank You to Steve for setting up this trip and then answering all the questions etc. THANKS STEVE !!!!
Physedfisher

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:55 am

Good Sunday Morning....

MIke Physed Fisher....no THANK YOU for bringing along your wonderful family, with your children being the most eager fishermen on board. Your son was definitely a high hook when it came to catching big striped bass. Your wife Lauren, was always there helping out and made sure all the children were being entertained or fed.

Thanks to Bill Elnath who allowed me to use his Diawa Split Ring pliers.....better then what I was using! I highly recommend this brand for opening up heavy duty split ring.

Bill Hawkboat....My son did not stop fishing for those dogs and both mates, Matt and John were right there helping him and the other children out as soon as those beasts were being dragged up from the depths.

I also spent a good deal of time speaking to Rich D, when he wasn't fishing, was reading his book on the Lusitania it seemed every time I was walking around the boat.

For me personally, it was a wonderful trip due to the people on on board.....such great enthusiasm, and the most important thing was that everyone put all the children first as far as enjoying the trip. Captain Greg ran all around the northern Mass. and southern NH coast to fish, and it was tough balancing between fishing certain areas, and making the children on board as comfortable as possible.

I still cannot believe it is all over!!!!!
EC NEWELLMAN

Next

Return to GROUP CHARTER ARRANGEMENT BOARD