CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -START HERE!

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:24 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! Marc, do me a favor and pass along any info you have on that BERZERKER JIG. One of the Captains from up north asked me about this during the summer, and I had no idea where to look for it. I thought it was a different type of jig, but it seems to be a close copy to the S&G VI-KE. If you can let me know where you bought this, that also would be a big help

To think, a ARTIE FRYE made AVA jig made right here!!!!!!

Mystery finally solved!!!!!!
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 pm

Steve,

If I remember correctly, I bought the 3 Berzerk jigs a long long time ago, from Merrick Tackle when they used to be on Merrick Road. Maybe 1990 or so? They were about $8.00 or so. They do work, and I wish I would have bought more of them.

I have never seen anyone else with them besides Pat on the Lady J who I worked for for a little while. He had quite a few, and said he saw them work good for Tuna at the Bacardi...

Other than that, I have no more info on those jigs, but yes they are an ARtie Frye special :P
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 am

Morning Marc.... Looking at the jig, it looks like S&G made the copy of the AVA, and possible AVA copying the original Bridgeport/Bead Tackle Vi-Ke jig. It was a 'killa' jig for tuna and the only problem was that this jig would flip and hang up on the line, but other then that, it truly was a favorite around here.

The cod and pollock loved them and they well worth the buck or two more they cost then the standard large jigs that were available to us. This version as you can see had the heavy duty 225 or 300lb test swivel, Before we really knew about the other Vi-ke jigs made for fishing up north, this was our version here in NY & NJ. I do not believe anyone makes this style of jig, and wish some local manufacturer couuld make a mold and sell the 6-8-10-12, and 14 oz size.

I guess you would agree, it would be one of the handful of jigs that you would carry all the time when you jig cod in Mass., southern New England waters.

ORIGINAL BRIDGEPORT VIKE.gif

BRIDGEPORT VIKE.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:28 am

I used one of my Berzerker jigs out with Greg on Cashes ledge this past August...it worked fine, but anything worked that day....

I'll have to try it on a pickier day and see if it makes a difference, but they are a well made jig, good hardware, they don't warp or the eyelets dont get smashed.

Also, if I remember one time, Big Bob Spencer had a few as well on the Viking a long time ago, but that guy probably has everything ever made.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:51 pm

Bob Spencer.....Wow that man brought a tackle store with him

Now he literally owns a tackle store with the stuff he sells.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby COD » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:51 pm

My favorite cod jig isn't in the line up. The COD BOMB. :o The white and pink ones work best with yellow tubes

Please don't neglect the famous COD BOMB.
COD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:57 pm

Are things that bad in the GOM that you need this?

COD BOMBS (Medium).gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby COD » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Now That Amendment 16 may remove any restrictions on the number of hooks, maybe there is room for a few more trebbles on all of these. :lol:
COD

Postby COD » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 pm

These are COD BOMBS. A rainbow of various colors to catch.
COD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi Cod....well thats one COD BOMB I dont have in my tackle box!

Jay, I do believe you may find something like that on the west coast where they deep drop for a number of different species of rock fish. I know that this one is still avialable, and is popular in the Pacific Northwest:

MUD RAKER.jpg

The whole thing though is that we know that this jig works as good as most others in catching cod:

VIKING 16OZ COD JIG.jpg

So why do we use these other jigs to catch fish??????
EC NEWELLMAN

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL