CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -START HERE!

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Here's a pic of me up in the bow of the Star, 101 fish squidded, except for the few hake which I caught at night on a wreck before the tide made it unfishable. 1990 I believe. Sorry for the quality, a picture of the picture on my wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby Sullivan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 pm

LMAO Steve, talk about When Oppurtunity Knocks... I was visiting my sister in South Portland, Me a couple of years ago. I had to wait until 2 in the afternoon for the lobsterman to come in to pick up my dinner so I went for a ride up Rte 1. Stopped in an antique shop looking for treasures and what did I find..boxes of old cod jigs, $5.00 a piece,,,and I didn't buy any !!!! LOL, more of my father in me than I remembered.
"They that go down to the sea in ships that do business in great waters. These see the works of the Lord and his wonders in the deep"
Sullivan

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Marc....that is some fishing trip you had....believe me, thats a great shot!

Hammered Jigs?

I personally believe they are one jig you always carry with you in your tackle bag....Cannot say enough about them, and they are just a great jig for almost any species. The problem wit them is that when you pound them on the bottom, the eyelets get crushed. Cannot get away from that, but if you willing to put up with destroying some jigs during a day of fishing, the Hammered jigs may be the best all around jig to use for fishing.

db1416.jpg

The above jigs are HAMMERED DB -14s with added SIWASH hook and Flo green tubing. These are set up for deep water dropping for pollock, but I and others have found that if you can get away with a DB 8 or DB 10, it will get more hits especially if there are big sea bass around.

Jacketed SS Solv and Hammered 14.jpg

The above image compares a DB 14 next to the jacketed stainless solvkroken 14, 17.5, 21 and 26 oz jig. For years these were the standard cod jigs used, and I cannot tell you how many 14s, and 17.5 I left on the Nantucket wrecks on the trips I made. Up in the GOM, they are still considered a top jig for catching trophy sized cod, and I must admit, they do have there moments. To lessen the loss of these jigs due to that oversized treble hook, I would remove the treble and place a large O'Shaunessey or Siwash on the swivel, with or without a tube. These jigs I bought back in the eighties when they were on sale at Edelmans in Farmingdale, and some have the old SALE price of 8.99-9.99, and that was two decades ago! I cannot imagine how much they must cost these days. I feel these SS jigs are one to be used when there are big fish around, and it is now just a matter of myself favoring other jigs for catching the codfish which we see today which are by and far under 20 lbs.

Crippled Herring and Bridgeport jigs.jpg

This is a Crippled Herring to the left, and the old Bridgeport Diamond jigs to the right. First the Crippled Herring. I was never a fan of this jig, but I may have missed the boat as far as these jigs being a very good to excellent jig for codfish. I personally preferred using the S&Gs since they worked so well, but the Crippled Herring does catch fish, even when the bight is slow, I now own a few dozen of these Crippled Herring jigs and they sit in a large cooler, since I still prefer using other jigs for codfishing. The Bridgeports are another matter.....I called them a throw away jig, and even though in its time from the late 60s through the 80s, they were very popular, the lousy plating (2 plate process instead of 3) combined with its cost makes it one I would never purchase. Yes, I have caught a load of fish on them, and I have had some great success with them while fishing the Coimbra and other wrecks in and around that depth using a single hook on them but my money would of been better spent on other jigs that were available at that time.

A few dozen Bridgeports.jpg

These days i have removed the hardware and used the trebles for other things and keep these around for whenever I want to use something that I don't care about losing on a wreck! You should also look closely at the pics....you can see the plating flaking off these jigs, and these haven't been used! But then again, they were bought back in the late seventies!

Double rigged Angermans.JPG

Angerman 10, 12 and 14 oz, double hook rigged with various teasers. These were all used, and I did catch fish on them, and like these jigs....but not the cost of buying them these days. A number of stories have been written about them, and next to the SS jacketed and Nickle plate AN-99, these jigs might have caught more fish in the GOM during the last 20 years then any other jig. As you can see, I rigged them with various combinations such as with the Bingle Tube, cod flies and blue and silver squids on bead chain. The LAV jigs our moderator CTWHITECHINO8 posted are close copies of these jigs. I would not leave home without them if you fish in the GOM, and it is one of those things in fishing where you say, its part of the cost of going fishing and you should have at least a 10, 12, and 14 in your tackle bag.

AN99 12oz.JPG

The nickel plated AN99 or 12 oz is one of my favorite jigs....stick it right next to the S&G 9 oz, and 8-10oz hammered jigs and your pretty much set in fishing Georges, Nantucket, or off Stellwagen. Its one of the few jigs I like with a treble hook on it, and it catches big fish! The best place to purchase these are from NEW ENGLAND MARINE & INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY - NORWEGIAN JIGS PAGE- New England Marine is the importer for these jigs and the best way to purchase them is by the dozen, which I do. If there is one other jig to carry that is still made for codfishing, this would be the one. But I should point out, that they have started to manufacture them with lighter swivels from what I hear. Maybe someone else can add more info to this, but I still would buy them anyway.....they are that good!

CODKILLAs.JPG

What is a discussion on codfish jigs without seeing one of the finest custom made cod and pollack jigs around made by our own NMS BOB, the CODKILLER? I have used the one on the far right, and they are a highly crafted jig that does catch fish. I like to use them more often but feel pretty bad if I would lose one. As you can see I have rigged them with various plastic squids and latex tubing combinations. Maybe NMS BOB when he has a free moment can give you more on the back ground on these jigs.

Well that's all for now.....more coming!

Have a good night!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:15 pm

While working on this thread, I just wonder how many of these jigs we all have left on some of the wrecks in the northeast over the years?

Cut Flo Red Latex Teasers.jpg

Here are some of the flo red teasers I used to put on the bottom on my diamond jigs. I learned this little trick from Teddy Dickes and found it to work very well. Its cheap, holds up to multiple fish strikes, and you don't give a second thought of throwing it away once it is beaten up (unlike the gitzits which were are a newer version of these cut tube teasers). I would still use them today and It reconfirms what most cod fishermen say..... that you don't need anything extra fancy to catch a load of cod.

Blue Silver Cod Teaser.JPG

This is a variation of the above latex tubing teasers, but using the harder plastic and mylar that you would see on the Bingle Sand Eel tubes. This is something that NMS BOB sent me and I connected it to a Burkett jig. This type of plastic does not flutter like the latex tubing, but it is literally indestructible and will hold up as long as you don't lose the jig on a snag. The blue and silver combination is one of the top color choices to use in the GOM. As you can see, there are a number of different teasers that you can place on your treble hooks if you prefer to pound the bottom instead of squidding the jig.

JIGS IN THE BOX.JPG

This is one of my 'light cod jig' tackle boxes, that contains a selection of 8 oz and 9 oz S&G jigs. To the left are some old Salvo 88 diamond jigs that Mikes Tackle used to sell. This was a very popular jig around here. Cheap and they held up well. To the right are my favorites from Sparta & Goldberg, with the umbrella rig bent limerick and cut latex tubing. These are for squidding, but I have caught numerous fish just bouncing them off the bottom. If you are going to fish the Cape, this is setup that I and others around here used. For most of the fishing off the Nantucket Shoals and GSC, this is basically all I would bring up there as far as jigs.

S&G129.jpg

These are the old S&G 8oz Vi-ke style jigs that were converted over from tuna fishing to codfishing. These jigs do not hold up from pounding on the bottom, even though up in the Cape we did 'tea-bag' (slow bounce on the bottom). The eyelets on these jigs will break, but I still would use them since they are an outstanding jig and always produced fish. I doubt you will find these anymore, and it truly is ashame since they were a much better fish catcher then the Vi-Ke style made by other jig manufacturers.

bucket.jpg

This is a classic shot of my old jig pail. Some guys don't like to carry around their jigs like this, but if you are on your own boat, or a charter boat, I find this a easier way to change jigs without fumbling through tackle boxes and bags. The most important thing is to of course protect it from the elements and there is nothing like your jig pail taking a refreshing saltwater splash. The best thing after a trip is to wash them down with fresh water and that only takes a minute or two. It does pay off, but more importantly serves another purpose..... you go through the pail and put away what you really don't use, and replace what you have lost or what you have found works, especially if you are making trips in the near future.

salvo8.jpg

This last image is of the old Salvo 88 sized jig, but I do know that you might see them stamped CT or with other markings. These were cheap jigs, but they worked and these days they are fine for using for sea bass which now inhabit our winter offshore wrecks. This setup shows the use of bead chain instead of the swivel and dark red tubing. It will also work fine for pollock, and it goes to show you that for less then 5 dollars you have a jig that will catch as well as those 15-20 jigs I now see being sold.

Ontill next time......
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Sullivan » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 am

How is gold as a color? I picked up some 8-oz hammered in gold last year but by the time I got out thefish were gone.
"They that go down to the sea in ships that do business in great waters. These see the works of the Lord and his wonders in the deep"
Sullivan

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 pm

Jay I know some rockfish down this way that would be jumping all over that stuff!

Next to a question I was asked by someone who commented on what you should pack in your lure pail. I will post another shot of what I would toss into the pail depending on if your are fishing in the GOM or Georges. For fishing down south of New England, we are more bait fishing oriented so you will see more single hooks rigs, then you would see if you fish further up north.

I just wanted to post a few pics of some stuff that many of us would not give a second look at....... but does catch fish and has caught many cod fish over the decades.

JEROS 2 HOOK COD RIG (Medium).jpg

How many of us codfishermen who fished on the south shore cod boats during the seventies and eighties saw this rig on a number of fishermens rods? Now how many of you saw this same rig catch pool winning cod over those same years? Yes this is the Jeros Tackle 2 hook cod rig with the latex tubing standoffs. I giggle when I see this rig, but I also think back how that brass swivel and brass like clip, didn't scare the biggest cod away from this rig! Go figure.....

gummiworms (Medium).jpg

They say this catches cod....I have never used them, but again, codfish when they are around in good numbers will swallow almost anything that gets dragged in front of them. These 'gummi-worms' look pretty similar to our Bait Tail lure, and I would not be surprised if the bass, blues and weakfish we have here, would jump all over these lures. They will probably catch fish if used as a teaser, and I would not doubt a pollack ever passing something like this up.

sergeworms (Medium).jpg

Yes this is a image of some poorly cut surgical tubing over the long shanked limericks. But then again, does it matter when cod and pollack fishing using this tubing, of for that matter fishing offshore for jumbo seabass? For some reason, the surgical tubing is drawn up half way up the swivel which I would not do, since the whole purpose of a swivel is to have a link that turns unimpeded. Now to cut surgical tubing correctly you need a very sharp scissor or plastic cutting tool (I will post a picture of the one we use), and to cut at a certain angle to get a nice tail end to the tubing. Either way, these tubes have caught their fair share of fish, but I would immediately try to fix them so that tubing does not ride on half the swivel, and that the tail is cut better then what we see here.

TRADITIONAL NEWFOUNDLAND COD JIG.JPG

Hard to believe that the people who literally created cod jigs the Norwegians, used this traditional 'rough-looking' jig to catch cod in their lands. Yes this is a original Norwegian cod jig which weighted approx. a lb, and was tied to a braided line, dropped to the bottom and bounced up and down till a fish hit it. Well it must of worked well since these jigs have been around for hundreds of years.

There is a point that I like to make here.... that a simple molded piece of lead can catch cod, and that cod being as simple to catch as say a mackeral, does have some truth to it, IF, cod are around in decent numbers.

circlejigs.jpg

I just added this image since it shows a Norwegian style jig with circle hook and plastic squid teaser. This may be the future of recreational ground fishing for cod, using circle hooks similar to what is now mandatory down south in the grouper/snapper fishery. They do work, but it goes against what we as fishermen instinctly do, that is stick a striking fish on your bait or lure. I just wonder if there are any fishermen who have tried a circle hook setup on a jig for cod and pollock...I really would be interested to hear the results of using this setup.

reddickfly.jpg

Finally I wanted to show you this image of a surgical tube fly combination made by Ted Dickes for fishing on Georges Banks over twenty years ago. Teddy gave me a bunch of these to try, and they were his favorite cod teaser lures which combined the shape of a sand eel, but with the add attraction of the fly like material. Yes, they look a little 'hookey' but I and others who knew Ted Dickes knew he was a excellent jig codfishermen and that this teaser he made up worked as good as anything else in this tackle box. This is just to give you some ideas on what you can do to make your own cod teasers up. It is very easy to do, and during the winter it is fun cutting the tubing, rigging the swivel and adding the bucktail type hair to make this teaser up....most of all, IT CATCHES FISH!

On till next time......
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby sealo6 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:26 pm

dont mean to step on anyones toes but in my opinion gold hammered diamond jigs work great for cod time and time again.I,ve tried them on every cod trip guys would say your not going to catch anything with that.those jigs out fished the other jigs 4to1.would like to know your guys take on these jigs has anybody had good fishing with them.also whats your take on the glow in the dark squid jigs from colmans squid jig warehouse have not used them yey if anyone has lets here about .
sealo6

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:04 pm

As we have seen from the various images shown here, that there are a number of different teaser and jig combinations you can use while fishing in the GOM and on Georges. Here are a few more.

DSCN0540.jpg

A favorite color for up in the GOM if you are going to use a cod fly. I believe these may be some of the Codkillers collection.
Cod flies are pretty popular in the GOM and they can be rigged on the jig or as a teaser up the line. They will get beat up under heavy fishing use, so bring along a bunch especially if you know there will be pollack around. its also to remember that they have their moments, and that at times, the plastic squids or rubber grub tails may be a better option to use depending on how the fish are biting.

teasers.JPG

Gamakatsu rigged squid teasers and flies...some with glow shrink tubing. As you can see from this selection, this is all custom made teasers where you purchase the hooks, plastic squids, swivels and tubing. I can tell you from experience that opening up the Gamakatsus can be tricky and you will snap a few along the way trying to slip one end of the swivel into the eye. I prefer these smaller squid teasers, and they come in a number of different colors. I believe there is a place on the west coast that sells every color you can imagine for these squids. When I locate the link, I will pass it along.

Getting back to the squid colors, narrow them down to the blues, purples and silvers (whiting), oranges, pinks and reds.

pinksquids.jpg

This color combination worked very well for me while fishing on the Cape. These plastic squids are cheap to purchase, and your best off buying them by the dozen since the top where it meets at the head, will eventually tear after a number of fish pulling the squid skirt down the shank of the hook. Don't fumble with it.....Just throw it out, and replace with a new one.

tubeteasre.jpg

Here are those Sekora plastic tubes that I talked about earlier. They have been around for years, and I used to purchase these split tails at Edelmans when they were on sale. They caught fish and along with a Bridgeport 8-10-12 oz jig, was the combination we used to jig fish on the Bidevind, Tower, Coimbra, and off the Nantucket wrecks. They worked, and whose to say back in those days that the red color caught more then the green color because there were just so many fish on the deep water wrecks. As you can see you had to use at a minimum 60 lb leader material, but 80lb leader material was needed when the bigger fish were around.

squidbaitr.jpg

These were some of the plastic squid combinations I made up years back. These are the old black Mustad Limerick hooks that were adequate for catching small codfish. Those are the regular plastic squids that you can use for fluke. Most rigs you make will catch fish, but much depends on the amount of fish on the wreck or over the bottom. This would not be one of the first rigs I would pull out of my bag these days, but you would be surprised if you hung a nice piece of skimmer on this rig, and the fish you would catch on it.

riggedvikinggrubs.jpg

This is a classic picture of the old Viking Grubs that were used on the Georges trips. All you needed was a 175lb test black or silver swivel, 5/0 - 7/0 hook, usually with a open eye which you could close in a vice, and the rubber 4" grubs, in dark red, hot red or white. They caught untold amounts of fish, and you usually bought a bag of 100 and that was more then enough for you and a buddy to fish a number of trips with. They should still work today if you make the Georges trips, and they are a bargain over the fancy plastic and rubber squids that have been sold over the last few years.

vikinggrubs.jpg

Here is the usual color selection you would bring along when you fished the Cape with the hot red, white and grape shown here. The grape was a good color at times, but I have seen trips where white would out fish the other colors. A number of years after these grub tails became popular, a similar sized rubber shrimp tail was sold. I have used them a few times, but feel that these grub tails are much better for catching fish. I will post a picutre of the shrimp tails on another day.

On till next time.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 pm

Sealo6...I will just reply quickly, but the gold colored jigs first sold by Bobby Spencer here in the Bay are excellent for all species of fish. From stripers, through cod, I have heard how they will outfish the standard chrome colored jigs. I have never used them, and though I have a couple laying around, I still use the other jigs that I know have worked for years. But, again I have to state, anyone I know who has used them has good things to say about the gold colored jigs.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 pm

Here's two more photos, these are my selection of codflies that I have purchased, PM me if you're looking for the source of these as I don't want to post the person's name here for all to see without his permission. The 1st photo is a "berzerker" jig that does work, it's a Norwegian shaped jig that I distinctly remember killing the pollack on several trips with, and also caught a good amount of cod with east of Chatham back in the 90's..where to purchase one of these now, I haven't a clue.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL