CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Postby Capt. AVK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 am

DrEvil,

That actually came out hilarious. Nothing to laugh at but your "delivery" really gave me a chuckle, especially the part about the Ling having a one way trip. If its a big bergal it too will have a one way trip.

I hear preliminary news is that NY closed the SeaBass with the exception of September and June, is Jersey following suit ?
Capt. AVK

Postby sealaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am

Capt. AVK wrote:I hear preliminary news is that NY closed the SeaBass with the exception of September and June, is Jersey following suit ?

The seabass regs are coastwide - which means that all states in the fishery have the same regs.
sealaw

Postby redpaulhus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm thinking of putting new hooks and split rings on some (ok all) my jigs this winter - I had a few rings start to deform on some of my cod jigs this year, and I suspect some of my hooks aren't as sharp as they should be.
(plus I want to have some extra pre-rigged squids ready for swapping out as needed)

Any preferences ? is it worth spending the extra for some of the Owner ST-66 trebles (about $9 for 5) vs the Mustad #3561ED (25 for $14) or the VMC 9626PSC (also about $14 for 25) ?

I'm mostly using the 99n or similar jigs, and fishing GOM or stellwagen bank.

Thanks,

Red
redpaulhus

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Red, before you buy anything, let me post a couple of pics up on some of the split rings we use, along with the treble hooks we put on jigs. I wanted to make this a comparison type article and now this is going to be on the TO-DO next week.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby SonnyChiba » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:04 pm

90% of the time, you will see Mustads. Size relative to the jig and teaser is more of a concern IMHO. A small jig with a pink teaser for giving you a shot at haddock for instance.
SonnyChiba

Postby jjdbike » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 am

I'm looking forward to Steve's responce here. I'm probably one of the least expereinced posteres here but I do like those sticky sharp hooks. I also use slightly oversized split rings for extra security. Cod have big mouths but as it was mentioned haddock do not. When I'm targeting haddock there are a couple smaller (more narrow) shiney jigs I use w/ a lighter set up (lighter line too for better dept penatration) that they seem to like & I use smaller trebles with these w/ pink, white or ranibow teasers. Jigging motion is also different, twitched much closer to the bottom.
Just my perspective.
Like I said, Steve will post a more accurate and specific info.
JD
jjdbike

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 am

This thread will be updated shortly as I get the time to put some more relevant fishing tackle images up!
EC NEWELLMAN

Previous

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL