CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -START HERE!

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 am

geeze, if you wanted to save some greenbacks, you know how many fish I've seen caught with just two or three jelly worms on hooks, and a 16 oz sinker to get you down to the bottom?

Can't get no cheaper than that.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 pm

when the need arises, yes I will use clams :o
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Jay, do you remember when some of the charter boats in Montauk used something similar for cod. Billy Urvalek used to have those pipe type jigs with a big treble on them, and they caught fish. It is amazing what cod will hit!

Here are some more old classic shots. The purpose is to get a better look at the hardware on these jigs.

jig 002.jpg

These look to be Angerman Jigs rigged with standard treble hook and heavy duty 300lb test black Rosco swivel. These jigs are made for pounding the bottom, and all your hardware should be what you see here. It will last on till you lose the jig on the bottom or on a snag. Right here is where you see the problem with many codfish jigs made, skimping with light 175lb swivels,and/or split ring connections. If you rig your own jigs, copy what the top jig makers like Angerman and Lav jig use, HEAVY DUTY!

jig 003.jpg

In this shot, we are not concernded such much for the 2 jigs to the right which are Vi-ke stlye nickel plated and a highly chromed jacketed, but the 3 jigs to the right. Over the years they were sold by a company here at the local tackle shows and became very popular. I have never used one, nor have ever seen anyone use them. Its a interesting design, and I would be interested to hear if anyone ever had success with those jigs. Personally, the tubing on the jigs could of been cut a little better. Last but least, look at the swivels and connections on the 2 jigs from the left side to the 3 jigs on the right side......don't you see the difference in the hardware, This ain't bluefishing!

jig 004.jpg

Here we have a selection of our standard codfish jigs to the left, a few cod bomb style in the middle, and a Mega Bait and Crippled Herring to the right. In particular the cod bombs I believe are made by the same manufacturer of the jigs you see above. Personally I cannot understand why you would want a eye ball on a cod fish jig..... like that could make a difference in fish catching, but it will make a slight difference in what the jig costs. The Mega Bait is a nice looking jig and I have caught a few fish on them. I can tell you that they are not made for pounding on a hard bottom. They were sold here pretty cheaply a few years ago at J&H, but even with the fancy paint job on them, they do not catch any better then a unpainted piece of lead for cod. The Crippled Herring is a excellent codfish jig, one that I really never took advantage of using when I was fishing. I now have them in my tackle box, but they are notorious for having the eyes bend and snap off if you pound them on hard, craggy bottom. You literally have to throw these jigs out once the eyes get mashed on the bottom.

jig 005.jpg

Some more Vi-ke style jigs to the left, one of those chromed Montauk style jigs I mentioned above, a few Bridgeports and one standard local custom 'cheapo' diamond jig, and at the right end, a jig manfactured by the same company that made those 'eye-ball' cod bombs. I know which jigs I would be bringing along on a codfish trip up north, but don't discount those Bridgeports. If you can get them for the right price, they are fine for fishing down here for the smaller cod and when sea bass fishing. I do love that treble on that pipe jig though.....can only imagine how that thing will snag anything that is near it, especially your skins, a craggy rock pile or wreck covered with monofilament! You do not need such a large treble hook for codfishing anymore!

lav12jig.jpg

This is a image of a dozen Lav 12 oz jigs ready to be fitted with various hardware. Its' shape is a mix between the Angerman 12 and the AN99 Nickel plated jig that we showed shots of before. This is a great codfishing jig that is a must in your tackle box if you fish up north. Through wired with a very heavy eye that will last on till you lose it on a hang. If you are one who makes a few trips a year jigging in the GOM, it is best to buy your jigs by the dozen, unrigged, and then add your own trebles, tubing, swivels, and split key connections. In the winter when you are not fishing, it gives you something to do, but you also can fine tune WHAT YOU WANT TO PUT ON YOUR JIG, as far as the teaser type along with the various colors which we have showed here, work best for fishing particular areas.

lavjigs.jpg

Here is a close up of the various Lav jigs made by Dave LaValle. You can get a good idea on how to rig the jig right here, with a heavy duty split ring connected to the treble hook with teaser, and a split ring connecting a heavy duty black 300lb test swivel at the top. Some fishermen add a swivel where the treble hook meets the split ring, but in these days where a 20lb codfish is considered a trophy, it is not really necessary. It is also debateable whether to use ball bearing swivels on these jigs. I know there are a few guys that I personally know who say it makes a difference, but this is more of personal choice on whether you want to pay the extra money to buy the Gamakatsu ball bearing swivel or any of the known ball bearing swivels from Rosco/Sampo etc., and add them to a jig that you will probably end up losing on the bottom or a wreck.

If there is one thing to remember from this thread when rigging your jigs, is to consider who YOU normally fish with. Do you fish with the Yankee Captains, Yellowbird, Phil Eastman on the Lady Merrilee, Tim Tower on the Bunny Clark, the Gauron boats, or Joe Huck down on the Cape.

If you make a few trips on one particular boat, you get to see first, what the regulars use to catch fish, and second what jig combination works best. It seems each boat has a particular TYPE OF JIG, and SIZE OF JIG that the customers normally use when they fish.

If you are new to these boats, then take a look at the various posts in this thread and see what the most successful codfish catching jigs are. There is no need to go out there these days and spend a few hundred dollars buying a vast array of all these jigs shown here. Set a price limit, say one hundred dollars which I feel is still a large sum of money, and then focus on the fishing boats you will fish on, because each seem to fish specific areas during the season.

Some of these boats prefer fishing the deep waters of the GOM, so expect to use a slightly heavier jig. Others prefer to fish on top such as on Jefferies/Stellwagen/Tillies, while others specialize in running off the furthest fishing areas in the GOM & Georges.

Think about this for a few moments and we will disucss what you might want to bring along on these trips.

I also want to get some images up on some of the hardware itself in another thread.

On till next time....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby MisterX » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:06 am

If there is one thing to remember from this thread when rigging your jigs, is to consider who YOU normally fish with. Do you fish with the Yankee Captains, Yellowbird, Phil Eastman on the Lady Merrilee, Tim Tower on the Bunny Clark are the Gauron boats, or Joe Huck down on the Cape.

If you make a few trips on one particular boat, you get to see first, what the regulars use to catch fish, and second what jig combination works best. It seems each boat has a particular TYPE OF JIG, and SIZE OF JIG that the customers normally use when they fish.

If you are new to these boats, then take a look at the various posts in this thread and see what the most successful codfish catching jigs are. There is no need to go out there these days and spend a few hundred dollars buying a vast array of all these jigs shown here. Set a price limit, say one hundred dollars which I feel is still a large sum of money, and then focus on the fishing boats you will fish on, because each seem to fish specific areas during the season.

You hit the nail right on the head Steve!

The mistake I see most guys make on the offshore trips is they buy the jigs that LOOK like they can catch fish but they dont. A good example is the COD BOMB. designed to save a guy a few bucks but it doesnt work.

K.I.S.S
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby COD » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 pm

"You do not need such a large treble hook for codfishing anymore!" Depends on what your targeting. When there is only large cod in the spot your fishing you should use a 10/0 or 9/0 trebbles. If there are market cod or haddock, bump it down to 8/0 for 14 to 17oz jigs. My hook of choice is the Mustad 3549D. I have yet to have any groundfish refuse a Solvkroken Rustfree.

As far as cod bombs, they are approved by most environmental groups for the way they help rebuild fish stocks. :lol:
COD

Postby bottom bouncer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:59 pm

Ec,

great thread. after working on the helen h for many years i have seen all different types of teasers and jigs, from homemade to store bought. the funny thing with the teasers and jigs are that it is not the tackle but the person who is fishing with it. it helps to have a wide array of gear because different days bring different conditions and techniques, if anyone sees my basement they would realize the amount of gear that can be brought on a given day.
bottom bouncer

Re: CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Postby daddy0 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:40 pm

absolutly great products

I have purchased quite a bit of gear from George in the past and have never been disapointed .
The quality of his products are suprisingly beyond expectation.
He has unplated jigs Priced even lower , Thy are like White Castle Burgers : You Buy Them By The Box !!!!
daddy0

Postby hanapaa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:22 am

anyone evr use these or have they been retired to your old tackle collection
87d0_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hanapaa

Postby fishpro » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 am

Hey Downeast Jay funny thing I have the same kitchen table in the pic you put up with all the jigs.
fishpro

Postby Hairbone » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 am

Downeast Jay wrote:Here is a European domestic market "Pirk" made by Solvkroken, I imagine with the skirt rigged the way it is that it will flare very nicely

I tried one of those jigs a few times and came up empty. I even tried it when it was a full on bite :( Zilch, notta, nothing!
THE TRUTH HAS SET ME FREE

#1 Sunfish Captain of Lake George.... Conducting Charters Year Round!
Hairbone

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL