CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: CODFISH BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT - COD FISH - RIGS - JIGS - TACKLE -

Postby jjdbike » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Downeast Jay wrote:These are a HAMMERED PLATED NORWAY/VIKING KNOCK-OFF. Stainless Slovkrokens, Lav/Angerman/Burkett, some Squidding jigs and throw aways = My Jig bag

Gentlemen
I see folks carring both LAV/Angerman jigs & Stainless Slovkrokens. To my untrained/inexperienced eye they look very similar. The major differance I can see is that the Stainless Slovkrokens seem to have a shinier finish. Can someone please tell me the differances between them and when you woulod use one over the other?
Thanks
JD
jjdbike

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Even though the jigs have a similar shape, they are different in the way they are made, and the weight of the jigs.

ANGERMAN CODFISH JIG
-Original design that has now been copied by other jig makers and UNPLATED
-Hand poured with lack of consistency from one batch to the next due to the molds they are cast from
-Tru-wired with heavy gauge wire for bottom pounding
-Weights are as follows: 10 oz angerman weighs 12 oz, the 12 oz angerman weighs 14 oz and the 16 oz angerman weighs well over 17 oz
-10 oz and 16 oz jig are the best of the lot with the 10 oz being possibly the defacto best cod jig and even bluefin jig in the GOM

LAV CODFISH JIG
-Copy with slight modifications from the Angermans and UNPLATED
-Hand poured but steel molds made on cnc machines for consistent batches throughout the years in production
-Weight designation on jig is much closer to their actually weight
-Tru-wired with heavy gauge fencing material type wire for bottom pounding
-12 oz size similar to the Norweigan AN-99 which works so well
-Slightly cheaper cost

STAINLESS SOLVKROKENS
-Fully jacketed jig made overseas, originally manufactured in Europe, but now copied by Chinese tackle makers
-Heavy duty hardware and eyes, made for bottom pounding
-Expensive with cost averaging a 1 dollar per ounce
-Known as a big fish jig with a design that dates back over 100 years
-Finish is highly polished unlike other chrome plated jigs
-Weights are very exact and measured in Grams- RUSTFRI 400g = 14oz
-Slowly being replaced by recreational anglers for more life like fish jigs made by Shimano/Braid/Jensen

WHAT TO USE

1- Best all around Jig of the bunch: SHALLOW GOM -ANGERMAN 10 oz - DEEP WATER ANGERMAN 16 oz

2- Best spring inshore GOM jig: Solvroken 14 oz -17.5 oz - 21 oz

3- Best cod jig to easily purchase these : LAV 10, 12, 16 oz

My favorite, Solvroken nickel plate AN-99 12 oz, but over the last 2 years the hardware on this jig has gotten slightly lighter.

If your going to fish on wrecks, use the cheapest jigs possible, since the price of these jigs may mean a very costly day when you lose a few.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby jjdbike » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 am

Thanks much for the very informative replys!
Very practicale & useful info.
JD
jjdbike

Postby sealaw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:02 am

Hammered gold...for when the herring are in town...

From right to left...6 oz., 8 oz., 14 oz.

DSCI0152.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sealaw

Postby sealaw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 am

I have a question for you clam dunkers...I have seen a few "old-timers" using a dropper knot of some type that actually causes the leader to jut upwards and out from the main line, rather than using a dropper loop where the leader tends to lay down and allow twisting tangles with the main line. I've figured out another way to deal with it...but I'd REALLY like to know how to tie that "erection" :lol: knot. Anyone know the knot I'm referring to?
sealaw

Postby Obtuseangler » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:28 am

sealaw wrote:I have a question for you clam dunkers...I have seen a few "old-timers" using a dropper knot of some type that actually causes the leader to jut upwards and out from the main line, rather than using a dropper loop where the leader tends to lay down and allow twisting tangles with the main line. I've figured out another way to deal with it...but I'd REALLY like to know how to tie that "erection" :lol: knot. Anyone know the knot I'm referring to?

That would be a standoff knot also known as a grandbanks knot , basically a snell of the leader to the mainline.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A proud member of the FISHING UNITED moderator team
Obtuseangler

Postby sealaw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:20 am

Obtuseangler wrote:
sealaw wrote:I have a question for you clam dunkers...I have seen a few "old-timers" using a dropper knot of some type that actually causes the leader to jut upwards and out from the main line, rather than using a dropper loop where the leader tends to lay down and allow twisting tangles with the main line. I've figured out another way to deal with it...but I'd REALLY like to know how to tie that "erection" :lol: knot. Anyone know the knot I'm referring to?

That would be a standoff knot also known as a grandbanks knot , basically a snell of the leader to the mainline.

Thank you obtuse & Jay...I knew I'd get the answer here... ;) I'll be trying both methods this weekend!! (or maybe sooner! :D )
sealaw

Postby nickh » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:39 pm

We used to call the series of half hitches "The Captain Al Knot." I found you had to use at least 50lb. test for it to hold bigger fish. When its used on lighter line it tends to cut itself off under pressure. The same with the snell knot. Makes the bait stand off nice, but not the strongest. I've been using a rig consisting of 60lb. leader and a blood knot so the leader is one of the tag ends. Now trim the other tag end and attach a barrel swivel to one end and make your sinker loop on the other end of the main line. Before doing this though figure out how the hook will lay and then decide which will be the barrel end and which will be the loop end. Use plenty of line of course. Makes a really nice looking rig.
nickh

Postby MisterX » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:58 pm

The key to the snell or nail knot is to get the snell tight to the snelled loop so its actually squeezing the loop. Otherwise it will fail.

Caught plenty of big fish with that knot.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Ineresting diagram of an standoff knot, Mike. Looks like that was tied on old tarred line.

Here are some of the TOOLS OF THE CODFISH TRADE FOR NEW ENGLAND FISHERMEN. A big thanks to NMSBOB...

2009-02-14 001b.jpg

2009-02-14 002b.jpg

EC NEWELLMAN

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL