DEC 2, 2018 - CAPTAIN TIM TOWER: THOUGHTS ABOUT HADDOCK OFF BLOCK & LONG ISLAND (INSIGHTFUL READ)

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

DEC 2, 2018 - CAPTAIN TIM TOWER: THOUGHTS ABOUT HADDOCK OFF BLOCK & LONG ISLAND (INSIGHTFUL READ)

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Written by Captain Tim of the fv BUNNY CLARK, Ogunquit, ME.

I have another example of the mystique of ocean fishing.

They are starting to catch haddock off Long Island, New York. Along with seabass, cod and hake, they are catching haddock. These haddock extend from Block Island, south to the east of Long Island.

I was told that a dragger off Shinnecock Inlet, Long Island, hauled back and decked 5,000 pounds of haddock, set back again and caught another 4,000 pounds! This in an area that never sees haddock in some of the best haddock years!

What does this mean?

It's not like the haddock follow a common bait source like herring. Or do they? Global warming?

Why would haddock go south to the warmer water when they are considered a cold water fish?

Shows you how much we know about the ocean. Now add fishery management into the equation.

You might understand why we, as fishermen, are frustrated with the system of management we have to live through. This particularly when we are faced with diminishing returns in our businesses due to these meaningless regulations.

But there is another point to be made here.

Where would we be with the haddock coming back without the closed areas on Georges Bank that created this haddock phenomenon? I'm hoping there is someone in management who has the balls to keep these areas closed. This is only going to help everyone.
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL