deep dropping rig

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: deep dropping rig

Postby mikejd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm

EC NEWELLMAN wrote:Good afternoon Mike....

I would highly recommend to stick to the size range normally chosen for deep drop circle hooks, that being from between 5/0 - 7/0.

I also always recommend to shop around, and I do not believe you need any exotic hooks for deep dropping....since most of the well noted hook manufacturers when they post HD or 3x or heavier wire, should/will work well enough.

If you only had access to the well noted MUSTAD or EAGLE CLAW hooks brands, you would not notice any difference from the more noted Gama-watsa, Owner and other high-end hook manufacturers. We have used the OE BRAND HD - 3X circles, and still do not have anyone complaining yet about these hooks opening up.....

Thanks. EC. I tied most of my rigs with 11/0 mustads I was only planning on making a few heavier.
mikejd

Postby reelrampage35 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 am

I am always trying new things with my tilefish rigs and have have used a rig similar to what is posted in the previous picture with the glow tube pushed onto the three way swivel to keep the line with the hook as perpendicular to the main line as possible. I am having very good success with placing a few glow beads above the hook with a two to three inch long thin blade above it. I believe the noise created from the blade hitting the glow beads however slight it maybe is helping to increase my catch with bigger fish. I will try and post a picture of the rig shortly, but the results speak for themselves. Also if you catch a small tilefish and filet the and cut strip baits from one you will be very surprised as it stays on for many drifts and attracts some bigger fish as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reelrampage35

Postby reelrampage35 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:44 am

IMG_5570.JPG
I have also been using lighter wire 2x hooks and am getting much better hook sets than with the mustard heavy wire 3x hooks I was originally using. All fish were caught less than 2 weeks ago????? The guy in this picture is 6'4" 265lbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reelrampage35

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm

That is one top notch trophy-sized 'Golden' there!

If I could pass something along....

I have heard one too many stories of big tiles along with wreckfish springing open lighter gauge wire hooks. There are a few hook manufacturers that make top notch circle hooks, and I would always err on the side of sticking to what we know works. For a good value in circle hooks, try Eagle Claw. They work.

Really nice picture and a very special size fish....
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby reelrampage35 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:40 am

[attachment=0]3881DC79-61EB-42E0-9179-6309E91158AC.jpeg[/attachment
Picture of rig. I also prefer the single hook rig but WILL NOT use those T-swivels as I have had 2 of them fail!!!
reelrampage35

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:38 pm

I do know that SPRO and EAGLE CLAW make a high quality 3-way swivel, and we have been using the biggest Fin Strike 3-way swivel for a number of years.

I do agree that terminal tackle can be broken when fighting trophy golden tilefish, and I can imagine that pre-made deep drop rigs can result in breakage problems due to the quality of the connections and/or 3-way swivels.

EC NEWELLMAN

Previous

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL