Cod off block. Flash in the pan? You tell me.

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: Cod off block. Flash in the pan? You tell me.

Postby MisterX » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:30 pm

All I was implying was if you have the itch to go fishing, GO! No need to apologize. It could be taken away from you at any moment.

Im sure the guys north of the cape would kill for 3-4 cod these days.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Im sure the guys north of the cape would kill for 3-4 cod these days.

Well said Mister X...

We know that all so well with the current recreational GOMaine cod-closure, and the possibility of further constraining of the haddock fishery for the recreational sector.

I keep saying, If your are from our neck of the woods, get on the Nantucket Trips........
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby jjdbike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks,
I apologized because I seemed to elicit a strong reaction from you. I’m guessing I touched a nerve.
I wasn’t critiquing reports, nore would I be in a position to do so.
I was processing them. That’s how my brain works. I’m a verbal learner.
As I mentioned, I have in fact been trying to fish every weekend since the beginning of January.
Keep getting blown out.
God willing, it looks like we’ll got out this weekend.
If we get out, I’ll post a report, good, bad or otherwise.
Tight lines,
JD
jjdbike

Postby nickh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

Sucked again yesterday.
nickh

Postby nickh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

In all seriousness, as Steve and X mentioned it could be any day. If you can remember, the Viking had super fishing in this area in I believe 2005 or 6, years before the epic run. This was before social media was as big as it is today and nobody knew this strong fishing was occurring(350 fish on the boat with many 20-30 pound fish) The crew stopped on the way back from dry dock and put 80 cod in the boat. This was end of February. After that the fishing was good every day through March. We'll see. ;)
nickh

Postby nickh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 pm

The Forsbergs were actually the first to find that large body of cod that particular year.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:03 pm

You are correct Nick...

Fishermen should remember that this is the right time to be fishing east of Block. Let's see what the boats report tomorrow from the cod grounds...
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby MisterX » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:58 am

They might be feeding at night. We've seen that before.
OR
Just might be that the fish are still spawning.

One thing is certain, Nature has a mind of its own.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 pm

I received this in the afternoon as the Pt. Judith for-hire fleet was returning from their long day on the fishing grounds. Now this was passed along to me, and you may have seen a 'rosy' report (considering the cod fishing lately) posted by one of the boats about their day.

All I will say here was that the person who took these pictures was very surprised when I told them what they reported, and until such time that we get verification from a person who was on that particular vessel, that will be all I will say on what they publicly reported on their cod catch today. A party boat out of Montauk, reported a similar very tough day, and not for the lack of trying as he reported.

Good afternoon Steve, the early report is in and it’s not good. I just talked to a couple guys on the F.F..... ONE KEEPER Cod for the whole boat!

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 pm

One particular boat out of Rhode Island found a few hungry fish on the last drop and worked on them as long as he could. Wound up saving the day for a light crowd.
nickh

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL