Protecting reels on partyboats?

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Protecting reels on partyboats?

Postby jjdbike » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 am

Hey everyone,

Thinking about the potential volume of salt water splash & freezing spray reels are subjected to on partyboats, on an off shore winter cod trip for example. On the long steam, especially if it’s sporty, they’re constantly getting splashed.
I know it’s enevidable that reels will get wet & messy, especailly while fishing w/ clams & if your catching well. Reels also take spray when steaming off to a new spot, especially when mates hose down the boat between drops (to get slippery messy clam snot & fish slime/blood off) w/ salt water & reels inevitably get wet.
One particularly cold Montauk cod trip I remember a buddy had two reels freeze up until they got thawed out in the cabin.
It’s very convienent to rig rods and put the one you’ll use in your rail spot ahead of time, i.e. before boat leaves when your warm & energised before you hit the bunk. That way in the morning or when you arrive at the grounds, coffee, skins, bait up, go to go.
Does anyone think it’s worth the time to wait till the captain throttles down to attach reels & rig up & remove them after the three toots? Does it help to put a bag or neoprene reel cover on while steaming?
Or..... is a futile waste of time to try to keep reels dry on a long offshore partyboat trip?
At the end of the day, who much does it really matter relative to the function and life of a saltwater boat reel (I’m talking star drag, non-level wind, conventional)?

Your thoughts?
JD
jjdbike

Re: Protecting reels on partyboats?

Postby Salty Bones » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Good morning jd,

On the way out, I have my set up pre rigged and at the rail. I take a grocery bag and wrap it around the reel and rod. First time I did it, a couple people looked at me funny. Next morning when I was able to drop my line in, those same funny faces were trying to get the ice off of their reel. Next trip out, you saw a lot more plastic bags on setups lol. On the way home, I just take off the rig and bring the rods upstairs.Between the spray and the hosing down, a lot of salt will be tossed around the deck. If that option isn't available then I would definitely take off the reel and store it.
Last edited by Salty Bones on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Bones

Postby nickh » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Bring an old dummy rod to hold your rail spot. Ask the mates to stow the rods you'll be fishing with somewhere in the cabin. Then take them out to fish while the boat anchors up. If the boat is going to make a decent run repeat the process.
nickh

Postby jjdbike » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 am

Good ideas gents.
Salty, I’ve done the bag thing & a reel cover.
I really like th dummy rod thing. Unfortunatly, I don’t think we have room in our vehicle or on our roof rack for 4 more dummy rods, but I’ll certaily check.
Thanks.
JD
jjdbike

Postby mikejd » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm

I like the dummy rod idea. While your 1000 dollar setup is hiding inside.
mikejd

Postby jjdbike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:27 pm

yes me too.
thanks everyone.
JD
jjdbike

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL