Commercial Boat missing out of Point Pleasant

News and fish talk from those in the Commercial fishing Industry.

Commercial Boat missing out of Point Pleasant

Postby nickh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Unfortunately it doesnt look good. Early this morning there was a distress call given that the boat was taking on water 42mi. off of Squan.
nickh

Re: Commercial Boat missing out of Point Pleasant

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 pm

This was posted by the sister of the commercial vessel owner two hours ago on socialized media:

At approximately 1:25 am my brother’s fishing vessel, Queen Anne’s Revenge, made a mayday call that they were taking in water. At about the same time his emergency position beacon fired off. The coast guard immediately dispatched 2 rescue helicopters and rescue vessels from the Manasquan and Barnegat posts. The boat was positioning about 42 miles off the coast of Manasquan.

At this time the Coast Guard has not been able to locate the boat or my brother and crew.

The other crew member’s name is Dennis and he lives in the Point Pleasant area. If you know who this is please reach out to us so we can notify his family. The Coast Guard is continuing the search at this time.

Our family appreciates all prayers for the safe return of my bother Paul and his crew member Dennis.

=================

In just speaking with someone out of Pt. Pleasant, the news was that the vessel went down with only the news from the USCG, that a 'MAYDAY' then EPIRB signal for the sinking vessel, as well as the news from a commercial vessel in the area seeing some debris. There was no indication of a life raft, even with the good visibility last night and through this morning.

Not good....
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Don't want to speculate but the wind come up last night and the temp plummeted quickly. Boat could have iced up, hose came loose, or she opened up? We will more than likely never know.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm

An indepth update can be found at the link below at NJ.COM, but this stood out to me:

Eric Herner, a former crew member of the Queen Ann's Revenge, said that he left the crew just three weeks ago out of concern about the seaworthiness of the wooden fishing boat, which was about 50 years old.

NJ.COM (0.08.18) Desperate search continues 40 miles off coast for missing fishermen
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm

News of this event is pointing to distances further than previously stated:

PLEASE HELP AND SHARE THIS POST!!!! Any friends, family or strangers. My bf Paulie Alexandre boat "Queen Anns Revenge" formally known as "Virginia Sue" went down last night and the coast guard has been searching hours looking for him and his crew member "Dennis Smalling "since 1am. If anyone can help in this search or has information about this .

He was 42-110 miles from the Manasquan coast. He usually docks out of point pleasant. Please contact me or his family members. Milene Oliveira prayers are much needed.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 pm

Another report from a commercial fishing discussion:

125 am emergency beacon was trip off Bargnet nj still nothing of crew and boat 24 degrees out and gusting winds hopefully they had enough time getting there Gumby suit on ..
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am

Just sent to me this morning by a fishermen from NJ. on a story in the APP.COM and once again, some details are different from those originally reported...

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:54 pm

An image posted by Rob P. which shows the vessel as the 'VIRGINIA SUE' with a rough red circle above the wheelhouse showing an area where the life raft could be hung in the rigging once it was released.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby LiFortier26 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Prays to these guys and for their return. I know we have reports of the vessel not being seaworthy, but I have to say that she is/was a fine looking vessel.

Regarding the liferaft mounting. I've always wondered about the effectiveness of a life raft release when mounted in a location where it can get hung up. I've seen sportfish boats with rafts mounted in the hardtop below the tuna tower.

When I bought my raft I bought the valise because I always wondered what would happen if it's mounted on the hardtop, fires off, but gets caught on antennas or outriggers. I figured with a valise I can keep it close by and if the sh1t hits the fan, grab it and deploy. Guys what are your thoughts on this ?
LiFortier26

Postby nickh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Limeted seasons accompanied by absolutely terrible weather this winter were factors for sure. These guys were forced to go out to make a living. Sad to say this trend needs to end. Thanks fisheries management!
nickh

Next

Return to COMMERCIAL FISHING FORUM