Commercial Boat missing out of Point Pleasant

News and fish talk from those in the Commercial fishing Industry.

Re: Commercial Boat missing out of Point Pleasant

Postby nickh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:10 pm

Read fatal forecast, hungry ocean, perfect storm and you can only imagine the fate of these men. Drowning in an overturned boat, being swallowed by the sea, blasted through the hull of the boat by a powerful wave, watching your buddy float away as you're hanging in to half a boat to survive. It's hard to imagine at this day and age we lose guys every year.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:29 pm

I was in Pt. Pleasant Beach this afternoon and making stops at my favorite places. It was shocking to hear everyone talking about the USCG calling the search off today and the:

Official release: Coast Guard suspends search for fishing vessel in distress off Barnegat, NJ

Later on I stopped by FISHERMAN'S SUPPLY along with meeting a number of customers riding along with Captain Jeff and Dennis on the VOYAGER tonight. In between talking to Jim Donnelly and Ed 'Bunker Dunker' I did speak with Jay who works in the store. He passed along some information that has not been reported, along with knowing the crew member who left three weeks prior, the new crew member and owner/operator Paul. I believe and hope that both crew members are now resting in the Good Hands of our Lord....and I will leave it at that.

Jay passed along this picture he took at the dock in Pt. Pleasant just a few weeks ago....

Nick...to answer one of your questions, yes it was extremely nautical weather for this particular vessel and that is public information as reported by the USCG.

Alex...yes this was talked about with the location of the survival raft and cradle in relation to the rigging above it.

Some of the points summed up that others along with myself discussed ..........

1- Readily accessible SURVIVAL SUITS that are in PERFECT or NEAR PERFECT CONDITION

2- An affixed survival raft in a location for easy and quick deployment

3- A survival raft in a valise as a back up if the main survival raft fails to deploy

4- The ability to 'triage' and access water coming in and within the vessel, ie: can we save the vessel

5- An understanding to use a step by step emergency checkoff if the vessel will be lost

6- NOTIFY OTHERS by issuing a MAYDAY with your vessel name, location and number of crew

7- Deploy on the person a survival suit, emergency go-pack, raft

8- Head count all onboard make it off and are accounted for

9- Familiarity with emergency gear, how to act and what to do in a emergency with a vessel going down situation(s)

10- Pray this does not happen to you...but always BE PREPARED if it does

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby BingoRB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:02 am

LiFortier26 wrote:Prays to these guys and for their return. I know we have reports of the vessel not being seaworthy, but I have to say that she is/was a fine looking vessel.

Regarding the liferaft mounting. I've always wondered about the effectiveness of a life raft release when mounted in a location where it can get hung up. I've seen sportfish boats with rafts mounted in the hardtop below the tuna tower.

When I bought my raft I bought the valise because I always wondered what would happen if it's mounted on the hardtop, fires off, but gets caught on antennas or outriggers. I figured with a valise I can keep it close by and if the sh1t hits the fan, grab it and deploy. Guys what are your thoughts on this ?

I believe in cold water uscg requires hydrostatic release on the raft to assure deployment should it not be manually deployed. One thing u have to consider regarding valise is what will the other crew be doing during emergency. Most likely most will be engaged in damage control. Depending on crew size all may be needed to attempt to save boat and keep crew out of the drink. Lastly if boat goes under quick deployment of valise is not probable. I’d play odds on hydrostat. Best case u pop the release and board while boat is still afloat. At least u have chance of getting in raft should u ditch pre deployment
Bingo Fishing Charters
631-495-1786
Capt. Roger Bing
USCG 100 Ton Master
USCG 3rd Asst. Engineer Unlimited Horsepower
www.bingo-fishing.com
BingoRB

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:25 pm

"Unfortunately my brother and Dennis are presumed lost at sea," Matos' sister, Milene Oliveira, wrote on Facebook.

"Again thank you everyone, your words of comfort mean everything to us."

nj.com: (2.10.18) Missing fishermen from N.J. presumed lost at sea, family says Updated 9:44

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am

One of the obituaries written about one of the crew members this morning...

Dennis Smalling was married to the ocean. And that's where he went missing, and that's where he's lost. And that's where a cross was erected to remember the fisherman whose likely death has a community in mourning.

Even as his mom, and his 12-year-old daughter, still hope he comes home. The Point Pleasant native was only 34 when he and his shipmate, Paul Matos, 30, of Bayville, disappeared at sea last week.

You can read the rest of the story here:

PT. PLEASANT PATCH (2.11.18): Point Pleasant Dad Was 'Married' To Ocean. That's Where He Died. A cross was put up for Smalling on the beach. His mom still hopes he comes home. So does his 12-year-old daughter.

EC NEWELLMAN

Previous

Return to COMMERCIAL FISHING FORUM