MAY 26, 2020 - OCEAN CITY REEF FOUNDATION: Video of the Jackspot Artificial Reef on May 5th, 2020 Survey

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

MAY 26, 2020 - OCEAN CITY REEF FOUNDATION: Video of the Jackspot Artificial Reef on May 5th, 2020 Survey

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue May 26, 2020 11:36 am

Our best reef monitoring video to date I believe..

OCRF Survey of Jackspot May 5th 2020

Carried u/w videographer extraordinaire Nick Caloyianis, and dive partner/editor, Travis Dixon, to Lindsey Power’s Reef at the Jackspot back in early May. Made a late 11am start because we were still painting. In fact, Tanner was priming our last finish work as we motored on off.

Visibility turned out just OK on the bottom though it was nearly a beautiful ‘clean green’ at the surface following many days of easterly breezes.

Sank this rig on New Year’s Eve 2009. It had already sunk at the dock twice. Capt Greg Hall was more concerned with keeping it afloat during the tow offshore than getting it scuttled.

Arriving at her mooring around noon on a slick, glass smooth sea; it would be 9:30 pm before the scalloper gave its last—and dern near took Capt. Greg with it. He’d told me,

“I had nosed up to her port stern and could see water rushing into the hold when suddenly she rolled. I slammed the gears in reverse and an outrigger just missed my bow.”

Wasn’t a whole lot got Capt Greg excited, yet he was still flustered when I spoke to him next day. So, this is what successful reef building looks like: a jumble of concrete pipe or block, a bargeload of armor-stone/boulder, a steel ship or boat - once it’s resting on the seafloor all the life that would occur on a natural rocky outcrop begins the task of conquering the artificial placement.

Once we’ve sited a substrate the fish, corals, mussels, and myriad other critters take care of the rest.

We’ve a long way to go if we’re to make serious headway in the task of marine fisheries habitat restoration. The Ocean City Reef Foundation is a 501(c)(3) if you’d care to help with a donation. See ocreefs.org for our charts with precise coordinates and a small variety of other gifts for donors.

Regards,
Monty
Capt. Monty Hawkins
Pres OCRF

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: MAY 26, 2020 - OCEAN CITY REEF FOUNDATION: Video of the Jackspot Artificial Reef on May 5th, 2020 Survey

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Fish Report 5/22/20
Catching's Great!
Weather's Awful!

Greetings All,

Have fished 2 of 8 possible trips. GREAT SCOTT!

Never seen so much windy weather in May. A dagone tropical system even. Sheesh.

The good news is both of those trips resulted in boat limits - fifteen sea bass per-person..

I'm opening some of June now with the same No Refund/Reschedule Only policy as May. With Covid restrictions in place (I'm sold-out at less than half my normal fares!) my minimized cash flow cannot handle a string of refund days. It's virtually all regulars who are buying these trips anyway. If I cancel - You know I'm good for a trip another day.

For June's opening I'm even saving 3 spots for 'reschedules only' until 3 days before a trip. If you have a reschedule on the book you're welcome to book any spot. If already sold out, however, the three "reschedule only" spots may still be open - a cushion for those who've lost a trip previously..

IF YOU BOOK LEAVE YOUR BEST POSSIBLE CONTACT NUMBER & LISTEN TO YOUR MESSAGES -

Weather Cancellations Happen - I Make Every Attempt To Let Clients Sleep In If The Weather's Not Going Our Way..

COVID Regs Trips Are NonRefundable! Reschedule in event of bad weather? Of Course! But no refunds.. If you can't abide a reschedule - don't book! Opening to June 21st for Non Refundable sea bass trips. Size limit 12.5 inches - 15 sea bass per person.

We are doing a temperature check and requiring hand sanitizer at boarding. If in the passenger salon - Mask Required. If you refuse a mask, BYO life jacket! (but seriously, not only do I not want anyone taking ill -- if one party boat anywhere sparks an outbreak we'll ALL get shut down again. Have to be careful..)

Sailing Daily (as rotten weather allows!) - Non Refundable Saturdays 6:30 to 3:30 at $155.00 — Non Refundable Weekdays & Sundays 7 to 3 at $135 - Boat sells out at fewer than 1/2 my normal (already way spaced out!) rail until the “All Clear” is given. (3 across the stern with 7 feet between them, then 10 feet between clients going up the rails port/stb..)

Be a half hour early! We always leave early! ..except when someone shows up right on time. Clients arriving late will see the west end of an east-bound boat. With a limited number of reserved spots, I do not refund because you overslept or had a flat..

Trips Also Announced on socialized media at Morning Star Fishing:
https://www.facebook.com/ocfishing/
Also my personal FB page along with after action (or lack thereof) reports..

Bait is provided on all trips.

If You Won't Measure & Count Your Fish, The State Will Provide A Man With A Gun To Do It For You. We Measure & Count — ALWAYS — No Exceptions!

It's Simple To Prevent Motion Sickness, Difficult To Cure. Bonine seems best because it's non-drowsy. Truly cheap & effective insurance. Honestly - If you get to go on the ocean once month, once a year, or even less; why risk chumming all day? Similarly, if you howl at the moon all night, chances are good you'll howl into a bucket all day.

Bring A Cooler With Ice For Your Fish – A 48 Quart Cooler Is Fine For Two People. Do Not Bring A Very Large Cooler. We DO have a few loaners - you'll still need ice. No Galley! Bring Food & Beverages To Suit. A few beers in cans is fine for the ride home.

Wishbone doesn’t replace backbone.. Have to keep a shoulder into reef building to make it happen.

Donations help too! Ocreefs.org
Sponsor the Ocean City Reef Foundation!
http://www.ocreefs.org
We're Nowhere Near Reef Building's True Potential.

29,323 Reef Blocks (oops typo last report) + 79 Reef Units (170lb Concrete Pyramids) have been deployed at numerous sites as of 4/28/20..

Here are sites currently being targeted:
- Capt. Jack Kaeufer’s Reef 1,287 Blocks (+41 Reef Units)

- Doug Ake's Reef 3,956 blocks (+11 Reef Units)

- St. Ann's 2,387 (+5 Reef Units)

- Sue's Block Drop 1,422 (+16 Reef Units)

- TwoTanks Reef 1,043 (+ 8 Reef Units)

- Capt. Bob's Inshore Block Drop 900

- Benelli Reef 1,145 (+ 6 Pyramid Units)

- Rudy's Reef 209 - Capt. Bob's Bass Grounds Reef 2,476 (+38 reef units)

- Wolf & Daughters Reef 713

- Al Berger’s Reef 373 (+1 Reef Unit)

- Great Eastern Block Drop 513 (+6 Reef Units)..

Regards,
Monty

Capt. Monty Hawkins
Partyboat Morning Star - OCMD
mhawkins@morningstarfishing.com
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE