NOV 14, 2017 - REGULATORY MUMBO-JUMBO: COD - BLACK SEA BASS - BLUELINE TILEFISH & DID YOU SEE THE LATEST SNOOZE-DAY ARTICLE ABOUT NY COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN?

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

NOV 14, 2017 - REGULATORY MUMBO-JUMBO: COD - BLACK SEA BASS - BLUELINE TILEFISH & DID YOU SEE THE LATEST SNOOZE-DAY ARTICLE ABOUT NY COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Where do you start these days when you talk about the fishing industry dealing with the regulatory environment?

Terrible, but let me first start with the article due to a phone call I received this morning from a FULL TIME commercial/for-hire fishermen:

New York commercial fishermen are “getting a raw deal” in federal fisheries quotas, and the state will follow through on a lawsuit early next year if meetings in December don’t fix the problem, the state’s top fisheries official said last week.
At a meeting at the East Hampton Public Library on Thursday, Basil Seggos, commissioner of the state Department of Environmental Conservation, listened to two full hours of complaints about state and federal regulations and management of fisheries, including restrictive quotas, inaccurate fish-population data, difficulty in getting and transferring permits, and “Gestapo”-like tactics of federal observers on local fishing vessels.

Newsday (11.13.17) Mark Harrington: State official: NY commercial fishermen ‘getting a raw deal’ Fishermen expressed concerns about federal quotas and state regulations at a meeting last week.

There is no doubt that many in the NYS commercial fishing industry have just have it with the treatment and lack of consideration from either on the federal, and most certainly on the state level.

There will be more on this and other commercial industry issues in the coming year due to (and as I was directly told):

- Use of filling tags for striped bass and the severe price drop due to having gill netters tagging fish for other license holders

- Use of strap tag for blackfish being sold along with the allocation of the tags to FFL holders

- Yearly quota of summer flounder/fluke to NYS

- Low allocation and distribution of BSB throughout the calendar year

- Comprehensive NYS Commercial Fishing License Transfer Program (still in draft & early development stage)
==========================

BLUELINE TILE FISH - UPCOMING RECREATIONAL CHANGES

(UPDATED by GARFO)

I do not know if anyone received the original GARFO release, but I noticed something right away. Can you spot the mistake?

(DISREGARD THIS NOTICE)

Are we surprised here with the outlined season for coming year? NO!

Are we surprised by the differential bag limits for each mode? No....

Are we surprised that there will no longer be any offshore mixed Sea Bass/Blueline Tile fishing in December....

Yes.... and this will undoubtedly impact one southern New Jersey longtime operator as well as for-hire operations in the DEL-MAR-VA states....though one questions the clarity of the recreational season in the updated release where for 2017, the open season is currently (we believe) Nov. 1 to Dec. 14th in 2017.

Enjoy the last few trips during this fall to get a mix of biscuits and bluelines...
==========================

RECREATIONAL CODFISH in the GOMaine and other waters in this region....

Did anyone read Captain Tim Tower - fv BUNNY CLARK, ME. this past Friday? To wit (in case you missed this in another thread):

I spent a fair amount of time looking over the materials that were presented to me from the New England Fishery Management Council's staff on the 2017 catch of cod and haddock. This to get ready for the Recreational Advisory Panel meeting on Tuesday.

- We caught more cod, generally this season. However, the party/charter sector caught less.

- Private vessels accounted for the most catch of cod.

This, of course, is bad statistics gathering in NOAA's Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP, system.

Generally, they do shore interviews with private boats, ask what they catch/caught (without any proof) and then extrapolate this information to other vessels they believe are also fishing that day.

This has been the source of much frustration to me and others like me who have a stake in the fishery and are also involved in the fishery management scene. And to have to accept that data to make salient recreational rule changes is painful indeed!

I like to emphasize the recreational cod issue for 2018 will be discussed today and here is the agenda info:

Advisory Panel Nov. 14, 2017 Recreational Advisory Panel Meeting

One has to wonder what will come out of this RAP meeting, and I would not want to speculate at this time....
======================

THE NEVER ENDING

BLACK SEA BASS DEATH SPIRAL

I am not going to ask, "did anyone see this most recent document on BSB?"

MAFMC: BRANDON MUFFLEY - Black Sea Bass Recreational Management Measures for 2018

How about this little nugget for lifting the EEZ closure...and what do you think the impact will be in open days for the whole season to make up for harvest during this time? Just asking.....

Anyhow, I would tune into this come next Monday afternoon:

Joint Meeting of the MAFMC and ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Advisory Panels (Webinar) Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE